Wednesday, 6 July 2011
HRH Crown Prince Alexander Karadjordjevic attends wedding in Monaco
Jealousy makes people gossip about Charlene and Albert
In the interview for “Blic” the Crown Prince speaks about the wedding in Monaco and relations between these two Royal Families
Written by: Ana Ladjarevic
Another spectacular royal wedding took place last weekend in Monaco, when Prince Albert and Charlene Wittstock tied the knot. Among the guests were Crown Prince Aleksandar and his wife, Crown Princess Katherine. Speaking for “Blic”, Prince Aleksandar says that the two of them enjoyed this wedding very much, as well as Jean Michel Jarre’s performance and he believes rumors of strife between the newly-wed royal couple not to be true
What are your impressions of the wedding?
- The wedding was an amazing one in beautiful Monaco. I must say we were all particularly touched when we heard the father of the bride, Mr. Wittstock, tell the guests at the Gala Dinner during his speech that he had watched the wedding in South Africa in 1956 of Prince Rainier and Princess Grace and could not believe it that his daughter would one day marry Prince Albert. The boys did come to the wedding.
Were you present at the very ceremony in the church?
- We attended not only the religious ceremony that took place in the courtyard of the palace, but also a reception on the Friday evening at The Hermitage Hotel overlooking the port of Monte Carlo where we could see the famous French musician Jean Michel Jarre perform a sound and light concert.
How would you describe the reception after the ceremony?
- The gala dinner that followed the religious ceremony was spectacular in many ways with a superb menu and excellent wines. It was a gastronomic dinner thanks to the great skill of the talented chef Alain Ducasse who is a French celebrity. There were also spectacular fireworks that a lasted a very longtime and musical entertainment.
What celebrities were there at the wedding?
- So many celebrities and royal families attend this extraordinary wedding. President Sarkozy attended the religious ceremony without Carla Bruni. Who also was there were the King and Queen of the Belgiums and the King and Queen of Sweden. Crown Princess Victoria and her husband Prince Daniel, we went to their wedding in Stockholm last year. The Crown Prince and Princess of Denmark, Belgium and Norway. The presidents of Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Lebanon, Malta and Hungary were also present. Thee celebrities who came were Naomi Campbell and designer Karl Lagerfeld, and also the James Bond actor Sir Roger Moore.
There have been rumors for days now that Princess Charlene tried to leave Prince Albert and call off the wedding. Did you get the impression there was something wrong between the newly-weds?
I will say that rumors and jealousy are part of life in many locations. My wife and I wish the charming couple Prince Albert and Princess Charlene good health and much happiness. They are a great couple and we like them very much. We have got to know Princess Charlene over the years and we are very fond of her and of course prince Albert who is wonderful.
Can you please tell us more about Prince Albert?
- I have known Prince Albert and his sisters Princess Caroline and Princess Stephanie since I was young. I would come to Monte Carlo very often. My wife and I have stayed at the Monaco Palace several times. I was very fond of Prince Rainier and Prince Grace. We have also attended the Monaco Formula One Grand Prix as guests of Prince Rainier and stayed at the Monaco Palace. We always look forward to return to Monaco and to see the Monegasque Family.
It is inevitable to compare this wedding with the wedding of Prince William. What is your opinion?
- The two weddings were not too different, but one should note that there were heads of state at Prince Albert's wedding since he is a head of state. Prince William's wedding was followed by a superb reception at Buckingham Palace, but not a sit down meal. Whereas the Monaco wedding was followed by a gala dinner on the terrace in front of the Monaco Opera with singers and spectacular fireworks. Both weddings were intimate and warm. The dress code for the Monaco wedding particularly the Gala Diner was more formal than the United Kingdom wedding. Since we know both families we felt very comfortable and happy at both locations.