“OZON PLUS” RADIO, CHICAGO (USA), January 4, 2003
Interview with HRH Crown Prince Alexander II
1. Your Royal Highness, after more than five and a half decades of exile, you have returned to your country a year and a half ago. A shameful injustice was fortunately rectified. How do you feel today, at your home, with your people, and what are your impressions about life in Serbia?
It is wonderful to be home and back to one’s roots. My first night in the family home at The Royal Palace where my grandfather King Aleksandar the first and King Peter II lived was emotional. I am so pleased to be finally in Serbia and close to our people.
2. After hard years of isolation, the new democratic regime in our country with its new direction of prosperity brought us a positive image worldwide. How can your influence help a country in transition?
My return to my country after the 5th of October 2000 was a signal that democracy had finally arrived and that a new beginning had to start for the recovery of our country. My wife Katarina and I have devoted our time to help our homeland. Katarina works very hard all across our country with her foundation to help all those in need, she has brought much needed equipment to hospitals, but so much more is needed. I have personally brought investors to see our country and meet with our government. We have already had many individuals and delegations. From the United States we had 50 potential investors and other industrial groups from Europe. This effort will continue and the promotion of our country abroad must be increased.
3. A considerable number of people in our country, and especially abroad, still believe in monarchy. Are you hoping for restoration of monarchy in our country?
There is no doubt that constitutional monarchy is the solution for our country. Constitutional monarchy brings stability, continuity and unity. Constitutional monarchy respects everyone and would avoid the problems we are having now. In a constitutional monarchy the government is elected freely by the people and the Prime Minster rules the country. The head of state is the monarch and is neutral. I expect that in 2004 during the 200 anniversary of the prvi unstanak or earlier we shall have the opportunity to bring forth the positive merits of constitutional monarchy. There is no shock therapy, but rather a gradual and calm explanation to our people what the merits of constitutional monarchy are. Many people do not know what constitutional monarchy is and what countries are constitutional monarchies such as Spain, United Kingdom, Holland, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Luxembourg, Belgium, Japan, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and so on.
4 Let’s get back to the Diaspora. Our country is one of the few in the world where non-resident citizens have no right to vote. In your opinion, should the people in Diaspora have the right to vote and to participate in creating the future of their country?
Democratic countries have laws that allow citizens resident abroad to vote and I am certain that such rules will be implement as soon as possible for our citizens, but we are still a young democracy and there many reforms to be done.
5. More and more young people from our country have found their safe haven in the USA. Chicago is one of the cities that you are emotionally bonded with. Your father, King Peter II, was buried in Libertyville, and your firstborn son Prince Peter was born in Chicago. When can we expect to see you in the USA?
My wife and I always look forward to visit our Diaspora as we look forward to the Diaspora coming to the homeland.
6. And finally, may we please have your Christmas message to our people in America and Serbian Diaspora?
My family joins me in wishing everyone our Diaspora a wonderful Christmas and a very happy new year. We hope that the Diaspora will not forget in 2003 the homeland and help us continue our recovery. Please remember that our people suffered under sanctions, conflict and bombing. Now we need the Diaspora to take a warm interest in the homeland and its needs. Everyone would be so grateful for this interest and also for unity in the Diaspora. I must insist that all citizens in our country be respected regardless of religion or ethnic origin. Great democracies become bigger and stronger through democratic principles and human rights. Christ is born.
Copyright © 1998 NJ.K.V. Prestolonaslednik Aleksandar II
Sva prava pridržana