“DAN” Podgorica, 19 January 2004
Prince Alexander Karadjordjevic:
Marovic’s chair is stabile with the Crown too
After introducing multi–party system into political life of Serbia and Montenegro, that is, the then Yugoslavia, the possibility of reestablishment of the Monarchy started to be mentioned more loudly.
However, the idea became more realistic after the decision of the state authorities to lease apart of their former property in Dedinje to the Karadjordjevic’s. That was one of the reasons why the possibility of the reestablishment of the Monarchy was mentioned more often in the programs of some parties, during the recent election campaign, but still more cautious and more grounds than at the beginning of multi-party system. Prince Alexander Karadjordjevic speaks for “Dan” about the reestablishment of Monarchy and the new state union of Serbia and Montenegro.
Are you content with the reactions of political parties and political leaders, as well as of the citizens, after your initiative to reestablish the Constitutional Parliamentary Monarchy and to regain the Throne that was denied to your father, King Peter II Karadjordjevic?
- I was very pleased with the very positive interest throughout our country. It is important that we continue the work in explaining the positive benefits of Parliamentary Monarchy and provide examples on how well it works in so many countries. Parliamentary Monarchy is defiantly the solution for our country in that it will solidify our democracy and provide the stability we so much need to succeed. To create jobs and a proper economic climate we need stability.
Would the state union of Serbia & Montenegro be endangered by the return of the Serbian Crown and how could the two different state systems function within one state?
- There is no reason for any problems. It is very important to note that within the European Union members are Republics and Parliamentary Monarchies and that they all work together everyday for the good of all citizens of the Union. In addition the republics and the Parliamentary Monarchies take turns with the presidency of the Union and they again respect each other. Therefore our politicians would do well to acquaint themselves with the way the European Union works together.
Do you and the advisory bodies of the Crown have the answer to the question of functioning of the Ministerial Council of the State Union of SMN if this were the case and who would be representing Serbia in the Supreme Defense Council?
- Again there is no problem here as the defense of Serbia and Montenegro is vital and this would not be affected in that the head of state of Serbia and Montenegro would not change. The only thing that would change is that Serbia would become a Kingdom and Montenegro continue as a Republic, but remain together in the Union. Naturally as in all democracies fine tuning would most certainly take place.
Due to the specific situation both in the country and in the region where democracy is still fragile, do you feel that Brussels and Washington would be willing to support further political complications, especially given that the Podgorica regime might use the return of Monarchy as an excuse for secession of Montenegro from the Union?
- The excuse for secession of Montenegro from the Union is a very weak one or rather a feeble excuse. Again I cannot stress the importance in learning how the European Union operates peacefully together with members being both Monarchies and Republics. The United States closest ally is a monarchy – the United Kingdom. So again there is absolutely no need to complicate things. The issue is stability and democracy and the curtailing of tittle-tattle and conspiracy theories.
Does the project of Monarchy in Serbia and your regaining the Throne have the support of world centers of power and world politicians? Which ones?
- The international community is hoping for stability and the enhancement of democracy. All Parliamentary Monarchies are stable and democratic and thus there is absolutely no reason why the international community would not have anything against something that is good. It is also important to note that the respect of the international community will be even more if we show our capability for good government and stability. We are responsible for our destiny and future as a sovereign country. Again take a hard look at the European Union and its membership that consists of republics and monarchies.
Could you give an example of a successful restoration of a monarchy following the republican system and how do you see the advantages of your return to the Throne?
- An example which is not quite like what you ask is Spain. Spain was a dictatorship and after the death of General Franco the monarchy was restored. Spain became a great democracy and a member of the European Union. Actually I have been advocating that one of the constitutions we should be carefully examining is the Spanish one.
May I wish everyone in beautiful Montenegro all the very best.
Copyright © 1998 NJ.K.V. Prestolonaslednik Aleksandar II
Sva prava pridržana