VESTI, 1 March 2004
Interview: Crown Prince Alexander II Karadjordjevic loves sport
I have been skiing since I was six years old and also done some competition, and I also like scuba diving, because there is no telephone underwater – says Crown Prince Alexander I support both Zvezda and Partizan, but most of all I enjoy every victory of our teams against a foreign one
When His Royal Highness Alexander II Karadjordjevic is mentioned, the last thing that comes to mind is - sport. However, behind all protocol obligations of a Crown Prince, there is a true sport lover and a fan of fair competition
- I love sport, particularly skiing. I have been skiing since I was six years old and also done some competition. I also like scuba diving, but don’t have much time to do that now. The best thing about scuba diving is that there is no telephone underwater, only the peace and beauty... – says Prince Alexander
The Crown Prince points out he tries to keep fit every day.
- In the morning I go up to the mansard where we have little gym and so very nice machines that were given as gift. I do a few kilometers on the treadmill, and swim when the weather gets warmer.
And His Royal Highness supports...
- I enjoy go to all games it is wonderful to in the stadium and feel the great atmosphere. We are lucky to have nearby us Red Star and Partizan. I support both, this may sound strange but that is the way it is. I also enjoy basketball, water polo and many other games.
Due to the lack of free time Prince Alexander does not go so often to the sport arenas, but more often, like every mortal, enjoys watching sport on TV.
- I have no favorite team or sport, my favorites are our Serbian teams.
He admits he gets carried away by the fan’s passion sometimes.
- I get exited particularly when supporting of our teams against a foreign one. A good shout is really fun and beating a foreign team gives me the greatest of pleasure. Our sports people are the best and they deserve support. We are a small country but we do have incredible sport talent. So let’s win and beat them.
Peter, Philip and Alexander’s passion – snowboarding
That “blood is thicker than water” proves the fact that his sons Princes Peter, Philip and Alexander inherited their father’s passion for sports.
- Their passion at this time is snowboarding. I was with the boys in Kopaonik and watched them snowboard and I was very impressed. The boys say that skiing is out of date and that snowboarding is the thing. I think they will continue snowboarding for quite sometime as I witnessed the incredible interest in snowboard equipment down to minor details. They really enjoy it – says Crown Prince Alexander.
The right to choose
Would you like some club in Serbia to be called Royal, like Real from Madrid?
- Possibly, but I would like to say that I fully respect our clubs and that I don’t see any reason to change their names unless the members wish. We are lucky to have great teams and great team spirit.
Copyright © 1998 NJ.K.V. Prestolonaslednik Aleksandar II
Sva prava pridržana