|CROWN COUNCIL AND PRIVY COUNCIL
A meeting of the Belgrade members
Having heard the views of his Privy and Crown Councils, His Royal Highness Crown Prince Alexander shares the following statement:
In the life of each nation there comes a moment when differences of opinion must give way to the feeling of toleration and togetherness.
At this historic moment when NATO ignores the United Nations and violates
its Charter, we feel it is our duty to put forward a clear and concise
proposal for a way out of this tragedy.
We, therefore, propose:
1. An immediate cessation of bombing, terrorist activities, media hostility and all other aggressive actions against Yugoslavia’s population.
2. An immediate stop to all actions causing a mass exodus of civilian population.
3. An international mediation group to be set up urgently to prepare and organise a Conference on Kosovo and Metohija; the group would have no representatives of the parties directly involved in the conflict.
4. The task of the Conference would be to propose one of the existing models of autonomy in Europe as a basis for defining the constitutional status of Kosovo and Metohija within Serbia.
5. To formulate and ensure firm international guarantees for civic and
national rights of the population and the inviolability of state borders
and territorial integrity of Serbia, Montenegro and Yugoslavia.
The purpose and aim of this proposal is peace and welfare of the people
through democracy and respect for human rights.
London, 5 April 1999